Thursday, December 1, 2011

Now that's homework!

Luke has homework every night. I don't remember ever having homework in grade school. And I mean never. It's not a one-worksheet kind of deal either. He has homework in 3 subjects - plus he studies his vocabulary and spelling words each night.

To be honest, I'm a bit over it. What ever happened to kids being kids?!? I think we are making kids grow up too fast with all this homework and proper behavior and sitting still for hours on end while they write a dissertation about the solar system. Don't ask me - I have no idea what the difference between a meteor and an asteroid are. But my 3rd grader now does.

But I digress.

Like it or not, homework is there. Every night. So we have to make the best of it.

I have come up short in the making-the-best-of-it side of things. But tonight, I hit the jackpot. The kids love to wrestle with their dad. So I told Luke if he spelled his spelling words right, he could tackle daddy. If he got it wrong, daddy would get him.

What motivation!

"Luke, spell pour."
"P-O-U-R"
"Yep! Get him!"
Tackle, tackle. Surprisingly - and quickly, "What's next, mommy? I'm going to get him again!"
"Wore"
"W-O-R-E! Here I come, daddy!"

Daddy got tackled on all 15 words. Yep, Luke didn't miss one.

Score one for the mom who doesn't know squat about a meteor - but who does know (FINALLY!) how to motivate her kid to do homework! Yeah!

Look out, daddy, your life might never be the same.

Uh-oh, I just called my husband daddy. I'm *that* kind of wife! Yikes!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...