Saturday, June 4, 2011

Emma's garden party


We celebrated Emma's 5th birthday a week early today. We usually have her party as close to her birthday as we can, but we have a lot going on next weekend so... it's never too early for a party!

We had a garden party with her friends. My kids give me a theme that they want for their birthdays and then I think. And I google. I probably google more than I think to be honest. Then the party planner in me goes nuts... I totally love planning birthday parties for my kids! I mean - Love. It.

When she first said she wanted a garden party, I didn't know what to do besides plant flowers. Emma came up with some ideas. I did too :) - and we had a pretty good garden party if I do say so myself!

It was a total girl party. We had a ton of crafts. We made butterfly necklaces, snakes and spiders. We painted birdhouses. For a long time. I'm so used to Luke flying through everything even remotely craft-oriented. To see those girls take their sweet time painting, getting every detail worked out... It was amazing. I always thought it was an age thing - nope, 5 year old girs can really take their time!


They planted flowers. How cute that they actually put on the apron and gloves.

The nametags got a little wet from the watering but still served their purpose...


I only did snacks but I had lots to pick from. My favorite plate full of snacks was one of Emma's friends who put 3 gumballs on her plate and one pretzel stick. I tried to explain that she could take the whole cup of trail mix, but she insisted she just wanted one pretzel stick. Too cute.


Those are fruit flowers. And yes, they were hard to do! The flowers kept falling apart when I poked the skewer through them.

I named all of the foods to go with the garden theme. I guess that was more for my entertainment since preschoolers can't read! Maybe I get into this party stuff a bit too much??



Cupcakes with pinwheels stuck in them. Now that's talent. ha. If the wind blew lightly, they all spun around and looked really cute. However, there were a few wind gusts that made me a bit nervous - I was picturing them all blowing onto the ground because the pinwheels would REALLY spin then! Thankfuly, all made it.



Chow Mein Noodles covered in melted butterscotch chips with jelly beans as eggs. Stolen idea from the internet :)

Of course we sang happy birthday and had cupcakes and ice cream.


Emma was the first one to pull a string on the pinata and she pulled it open the very first try. I put bouncy balls in it - whoops, they were bouncing everywhere.


And we played some games...

Dig for Bugs (plastic ones in the sand table)

Pin the tail on the bunny was Emma's idea. She was so proud to paint the bunny and make the tails.

Fill up the Watering Cans Race... Which worked out really well - when they were full, the spouts started sprinkling. I didn't even test that ahead of time, it was perfect.

Wheelbarrow Races (also Emma's idea)

We also played butterfly hopscotch and plant the flower (we turned a frisbee into a flower and they had to throw it into the pot).

Most of the girls were from her preschool. The sad thing is, we won't see them again. They've already graduated from preschool and everyone is going to kindergarten at different schools. How sad. Our school district is really big (we have 11 elementary schools) so they won't come together again until junior high. Will they even remember each other by then?

These girls have been her life for 8 months now - but life goes on. Of course I don't want her to stay in preschool forever - I mean, I don't - really I don't! Well, okay, maybe just for a little longer..... Isn't ironic how whatever life is at the time, you think that's all there is. All Emma knows right now is preschool and these friends. Of course life is so much bigger than that! Wait until she sees that!

Oh wait, I got distracted and sentimental... birthday party, I was talking about her birthday party!

Her bedtime prayer summed up the day: "Thank you for the goodest day ever!"

It sure was the goodest party day ever. Until next year, baby girl - I promise.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...