Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Oh what a night!

We had a busy night. Luke had a hockey game and then I had a meeting at church. There was a half hour between the two, so I could do both. The only problem was: dinner. Joe would be on his own with the kids and I would have to grab on the go. So we decided to do pizza. We'd pick up one after the game, I'd grab a couple pieces and we'd be on our separate ways.

Sounds easy enough. Of course it wasn't.

I thought I'd eat in the car while parked. I didn't want to attempt eating pizza while driving. I had pizza on a napkin in one hand and a bottle of water in the other. I couldn't get the water open so I put it between my legs to "hold" it so I could free up a hand to open it.

So with pizza in one hand, I open the bottle with my free hand. Except when I opened it, my legs squeezed it. There was water everywhere. And I mean everywhere where I was sitting. It looked like I peed my pants!!! My jeans were soaked, the seat was soaked.

So I set my pizza down on the passenger seat (why didn't I think of that earlier???)and wondered what to do. So I got a napkin and started wiping. Except the napkin was soaked in 2 seconds flat. I knew I didn't have time to go home and change.

So I cranked up the heat and blasted it right towards me. I tried putting the vent towards the seat - and my pants - but it was more of a blast right in my face. So I had to prop myself up on the seat with my feet up on it, so I could get the heat where I needed it to dry.

So I finished eating my pizza kind of squatting on the seat like a frog, while I got blasted with hot air. It worked. By the time I got to my church meeting, my wet pants were hardly noticable.

Okay, they weren't noticable at all - but I could still notice it. Just a bit. ha. But I sat through that meeting with no one having a clue that my pants had just been soaked.

A few hours later....

I get home from the meeting in time for the kids' bedtime routine. I'm reading a story to Luke and he says, "Mommy, I have this strange bump on the back of my head." I check, it's a tick. Ugh.

The kids were in the woods yesterday but I didn't even think to check because we haven't had many warm days and I didn't think those little suckers were out yet. Now one is stuck to Luke's head. ACK!

So I take him to the bathroom and set him up bending over the sink so I can remove this goofy thing. I hop on the internet to see if there are any secrets to removing ticks. "Just make sure you get the whole thing out." all these sites say, "Remove a tick by grasping its head and not its back or else you might not get it all out."

I'm looking at this tiny wiggling tick wondering how on earth anyone could tell if they were grasping the head or the back. All I can see is a black dot with legs.

So I grasp it with tweezers. It won't come. I tug a bit harder. Out comes half of it. There is still a black dot stuck to Luke's head. I broke off the head in Luke's head. Crap.

At this point, I start to freak. Joe and I have both had Lyme's Disease. It was the worst both of us have ever felt. We never found our ticks. We found a tick on Emma a couple years ago but the doctor removed it. She's never had any Lyme's symptoms.

So now it's Luke's turn. It's 9:10 at night, I just broke a tick in two, and I am freaking out because I don't want this miniature monster to give my baby Lyme's Disease!!

I call Med Express. I know they close at 9:00 but I'm hoping by the grace of God someone answers. Nope. I call the ER. I ask if I should bring him in and they tell me they can't answer that, I need to talk with our pediatrician. I remind them it is 9:00 at night and I won't be able to talk with her until the morning. "Nope," they say, "Pediatricians are on call all night. Give her a call."

Oh great. Now I need to bother the pediatrician at night. She returns my call in 20 minutes and tells me to take him to the ER. Off we go. It's now 9:30. On a school night. And we are just heading to the ER.

When they check in Luke, the nurse tells me, "You should've just left it attached, it's much easier for us to remove it when it's not broken in half." Um, thanks lady. A little late for that!

So we wait. And wait. And wait. Did I say wait? 2 hours later, the doctor takes 2 seconds to remove the stupid thing. And we are sent home.

So I guess the lesson of the day is - don't try to open a bottle of water while holding it in your legs or your baby will have a tick break off in his head.

Or something like that. ha.

1 comment:

Jthemilker said...

WOW... I can't help but chuckle. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...