Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The first day of the rest of his life

We took Luke to a learn-to-ice-skate class tonight. He loved it. He was up more than he was down - but not by much. He wiped out pretty good a few times. He's going to have some good bruises I think. But he'd get right back up and keep on trying though. I like to see that perserverance with him - he doesn't have that fightin' attitude with homework. But I digress.

He was cute - and quite hysterical! - to watch. The instructors were teaching him to march with his arms out. Sounds strange, but when he did as he was told, he actually looked like he was skating. Then someone would come by, cruising along. He'd lose all focus and it would turn into a race. Especially if that someone was smaller than him. Oh no, they were not gonna pass him!!

He'd be going, going.... gone. Wipe out. Ouch. Hopefully no one noticed as he hurried to get back up. He's at the age where it REALLY matters what other people think. So I think although maybe there were times when he wanted to just lay there on the ice, he got up quicker than he went down. It didn't matter that tears wanted to squirt out of his eyes.

We weren't sure if he'd want to go back. But when the hour was over, he said, "That was SO much fun! Can I come back next week? I'm really getting to be a good skater already." Too funny.

At bedtime (a couple hours later), he said to me, "Mommy, I have this thought in my head and I can't get it out. Can you help me get it out so I can sleep?" "What is it baby?" I asked, almost afraid of the answer. "I just keep thinking how bad I want to be an ice hockey player. I mean, deck hockey is fun, but I REALLY want to play ice hockey. I'm getting to be a good skater, right, mommy?" he asked as he skated (in his socks) down the hall to his room.

Keep working hard, baby, and you can be whatever you want to be!

I like seeing an 8 year old have perserverance and a dream. It makes this momma proud.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...